Warner Beverly Hills Theatre
9404 Wilshire Boulevard,
16 people favorited this theater
Architects: Benjamin Marcus Priteca
Previous Names: Beverly Theatre
News About This Theater
Designed architect B. Marcus Priteca, the Warner Beverley Hills Theatre was opened on May 19, 1931 with George Arliss in “The Millionaire”. It was a medium sized theatre, designed after its sisters Warner Theatres in Huntington Park and San Pedro. This theatre, like the other two other theatres, the Hollywood Pantages Theatre and the Warner Wiltern Theatre, are outstanding examples of what Art Deco style can be. Here in Beverly Hills an Art Deco/Spanish/Mexican was the theme by interior designers Robert E. Power Studio.
On October 27, 1954 the Warner Beverly Hills Theatre had the West Coast Premiere of “White Christmas” starring Bing Crosby and presented in horizontal projection of VistaVision. Around 1960 it was equipped with 70mm projectors. In the late-1960’s, it went from operated by Stanley-Warner to Pacific Theatres. With changing times and audiences & neighborhoods, the large Beverly Hills theatres would soon become parking lots, banks, and office buildings. The only theatre in the area to be saved to be saved was the Wilshire Theatre. After Pacific Theatre it was operated by an independent operators and renamed Beverly Theatre. It closed as a movie theatre and then had a shot spell as a legit live theatre in the late-1970’s. It returned briefly to movies, then became a rock concert venue named The Beverly. Local citizens and the Beverly Hills City Council were not happy with the noise generated, and it was closed in 1987.
In 1988, when the restored “Lawrence of Arabia” was having its special reissue premiere in Los Angeles, the Warner Beverly Hills Theatre was being torn down. Ironically, the Warner Beverly Hills Theatre was the site of the original Exclusive West Coast Premiere for the film on December 16, 1962.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.