2 Belgrave Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Belgrave Electric Theatre, Belgrave Theatre
Located in the Mutley Plain district of Plymouth, Devon. The Belgrave Electric Theatre opened in 1912, originally seating 457. In 1914 the lessees were Montague Gilpin and Alfred Williams.
In 1930 a British Acoustic(BA) sound system was installed and alterations were made to enlarge the cinema. By the time of the 1931 Kinematograph Year Book the proprietor was E. B. Hoyle. The 1940 edition simply lists the Belgrave Theatre as having 700 seats, with no further information.
In 1951 the new proprietor was Embassy Cinema (Plymouth) Ltd., it had become the Belgrave Cinema and the seating had reduced to 600. That proprietor continued on, to be listed in the 1980 ‘Cinema Directory’ published by the Cinema Theatre Association. By then, seating had reduced further, to 530.
The Belgrave Cinema was a true survivor, and did not close until 16th April 1983. The building became home to the Belgrave Club, but it was up for sale in 2015. It was demolished in June 2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.