Bell's Opera House
111 S. High Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Chakeres Theaters Inc.
Previous Names: Bell's Theatre
Launching as a live venue on November 20, 1895, C.S. Bell’s Opera House was a live venue at 111 South High Street. Hillsboro got a full-time movie theatre right across the street with the Fair Theatorium (later the Forum Theatre). This proved challenging to the Opera House financially.
Former Orpheum Theatre and Forum Theatre manager George A. Rea took on the neighboring Opera House converting it for use as a silent movie house in 1923/4 and it was taken over by Chakeres Theatres in 1939 and it was renamed Bell’s Theatre. They closed the movie theatre in 1942 and briefly went back to live theatre use for a year. It reopened as a movie theatre in 1957, reverting back to its original name Bell’s Opera House. Restoration plans came in the 21st Century as the town tried to preserve this second-floor auditorium.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.