432 State Street,
19 people favorited this theater
Proctors Theatre (Official)
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Previous Names: Art Theatre, RKO Proctor's Theatre
News About This Theater
The Art Theatre was opened in 1911 and had 300 seats. It was closed in early-1926 to be remodeled into the entrance to the new Proctor’s Theatre built to the plans of architect Thomas Lamb which opened December 27, 1926 with Bebe Daniels in “Stranded in Paris” on the screen plus vaudeville on stage. The Wurlitzer organ was opened by organist Stephen Boisclair. It operated as a vaudeville and movie house and was home to first run film for decades.
During the 1950’s and 1960’s, Proctor’s Theatre, like so many other theatres, fell victim to the movement out of downtown and its numbers dwindled into the 1970’s when it finally closed.
The Arts Center & Theatre of Schenectady (ACTS) was organized in 1977 and purchased the theatre from the city in 1979 and restored it and reopened as Proctor’s Theatre. In 1983 ATOS installed a Wurlitzer 3 manual 18 ranks organ which dated from 1931.
Today, still showing a variety of films, stage shows, and live performances, it is a shining example of the benefits of movie theatre revival and re-use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.