Sankt Eriksplan 4,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Cyrillus Johansson
Previous Names: Luna, Biograf Stroget
The cinema opened 26th December 1915, titled Luna, by a grocer by the name of Georg T. Kjellberg. He could not get the business going and after nine months the cinema was handed over by Alma J. Markusson who saw it’s potential, later on took care of most tasks, including working the ticketbooth. The cinema had up to 189 seats spread over sixteen rows, was simply decorated, and was described to have had an irregular shape. The first film they showed was “Seger” (English title unknown). The program included mixed performances by guest performers, and in 1931 they showed their first sound film. In 1941 there was a small fire when an old copy of the Greta Garbo film “The Painted Veil” caught on fire (Stockholms Tidningen, 1941). The projectionist Hugo Svensson was able to put it out before the audience noticed. It was the only fire that took place in the cinema through out it’s existence. The Luna showed its last film “Thrill of Romance” on closing day 31st May 1946.
The cinema was renovated and modernized and was reopened 13th September 1946 as the Biograf Ströget, operated by Biograf AB Stroget with Seth O.V. Hesslin as their vice director. It now operated as a non-stop cinema with a program that included short films, news journals and alike that visitors could come and watch whenever they wanted. It’s interior was now modern and fresh with a neon decorated entrance. The neon sign itself displayed the name of the cinema, in a glowing white and pink light, and was made by Wendesbolaget. Inside the building there was a decorative glass window above the entrance to the cinema, made by Lindholms Konstglasmästeri and it depicted scenery from the world of cinema. Inside the cinema they had upgraded to self operating curtains, new projectors, and better sound and lights. The short films they used to attract audience with were of different kinds, Laurel & Hardy, and Disney for example. They showcased many newsreels, among them footage from the nuclear bombing in Japan. Despite everything the Biograf Ströget only lasted for nine years, and closed down on 30th May 1955 with their last program that included “Katt Får Valpar” and “Döden i Vitögat”.
Today this building is not remembered as a cinema, as it was a theatre the last 26 years it was open. First it became the Kammarteatern which opened in November 1955, and the building had been renovated into a more exclusive looking theatre with crystal lamps, and red velvet carpets. The stage was rebuilt and dressing rooms were added. It was only open for three years. It then became a puppet theatre, led by Mikael Meschke, who directed the majority of the plays. In April 1981 the shows stopped after 5,500 performances, but the puppet theatre itself still exists in Stockholm today in another building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.