1 S. Jefferson Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Elite Theatre can be traced as far back as January 1911 in the Iola Daily Register. Sanborn Maps of 1912 show a theatre at 3 S Jefferson Avenue and on February 19, 1913, it was reported that the Elite Theatre was being moved to its new location on the corner.
The maps of 1917 show an airdome and Sifers Candy factory behind the Elite Theatre, across the alley.
Later operators were Tyndale and Macgruder who took over operations October 7, 1918. In 1929 the Elite Theatre was purchased by E. Van Hyning and closed September 27, 1930, and remodeled into the Fairmont Creamery.
The building still exists in remarkably good condition along with the other historic buildings surrounding the old Court House Square, considered to be one of the largest downtown squares in the United States.
Film Daily Year Book 1929 lists the Elite Theatre with 450 seats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.