Village Cinema

164 E. Fourth Street,
Russellville, KY 42276

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Affiliated Theaters Inc. (Indianapolis)

Previous Names: Logan Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Village Cinema

The Logan Theatre was opened on June 23, 1949 with Robert Young in “Adventures in Baltimore”. It was operated by Affiliated Theaters Inc. of Indianapolis, IN. It was still operating in 1957. Later renamed Village Cinema which operated at least between 1978 and 1983, and shared newspaper advertisements with the Jesse James Drive-In. The building has been renovating since 1999.

Contributed by Bob Brown

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 13, 2018 at 7:00 pm

This theater was at 164 E. 4th Street. It opened around 1950, possibly as the Logan Theatre and possibly as the Dixie Theatre (both names were listed in the FDY in 1951.) It has been under renovation intermittently since 1999, and still has some way to go, but a few events (mostly for fund raising) have been held in the unfinished space. It is being called the Fourth Street Theatre.

There is very little about it on the Internet, just a couple of newspaper articles with rather sketchy information, and this almost empty page at the web site of Main Street Russellville, which is the group carrying out the renovation.

Russellville had a movie house called the Dixie Theatre at least as early as 1914, and the house built around 1948-49 might have been a replacement for it. I don’t know if the new theater was on the same site as the old one, though.

MichaelKilgore on January 1, 2022 at 12:51 pm

Russellville News-Democrat, May 20, 1971: “A Cincinnati based firm, Holiday Amusement, Inc., this week purchased the Russellville Drive-In and the downtown Logan Theater … from Charles Bowles, whose theaters have been plagued by fires during the past year … Fred Douglas, general manager of the company … announced that the downtown theater will be completely re-worked with new chairs, carpeting and air-conditioning added, and will reopen this fall. A new front will be constructed on the building … Last summer the drive-in screen was damaged by fire and this winter the downtown location was the scene of an explosion-fire which heavily damaged the facility.”

50sSNIPES on August 30, 2022 at 10:30 am

Both the Dixie and the Logan theaters are separated theaters. This first opened as the Logan Theatre on June 23, 1949 with Robert Young in “Adventures In Baltimore” with no extra short subjects. The Dixie Theatre nearby continued to operate until 1954 after a bit more than 40 years of operation.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.