Roxy Theatre

Williamsport, PA 17701

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet


View address on Google Maps

Additional Info

Previous Names: Grand Theatre, Keeney's Grand Theatre

Nearby Theaters

No theaters found within 30 miles

The Grand Theatre was opened by November 1914 and was located across the street from the City Theatre. It was taken over by Frank A. Keeney by December 1920 and he was the operator until May 1923. Around 1931 it was renamed Roxy Theatre. Still open in 1943, it had closed by 1950.

Contributed by coleman

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 8, 2018 at 2:37 pm

Although not listed in the 1914-1915 American Motion Picture Directory, the Grand Theatre was advertising in the Williamsport Sun-Gazette at least as early as November, 1914. The Grand is the subject of an item in the June 5, 1915 issue of Motography:

“J. G. Meyers, who has so successfully conducted the City theater at Williamsport, has taken over the Grand theater, just across the street from the City, having become general manager of the latter house, and will in the future direct both theaters. Many improvements are promised for the Grand under the new management. The latest approved and up-to-date electrical equipment will be installed in the operating room and elsewhere in the theater. This will include another new projecting machine, making two in service, and a screen that will be up to the standard maintained by the City theater.”
The Grand is also mentioned briefly in the August 21, 1915 issue of The Moving Picture World, which says “J. G. Meyer, manager of the Grand in Williamsport, Pa., has purchased a Minusa Gold Fibre screen from Ludwig Hommel & Company, Pittsburgh.”

An interesting item appears in the May 12, 1923 Moving Picture World:

“Keeney’s Grand Theatre, Williamsport, Pa., will be closed during the summer months for extensive alterations to include a thorough modernizing of structure and equipment, under the management of J. M. Delmar. Frank Keeney, after several unsuccessful attempts to promote theatres in Williamsport, has turned over all his ventures in the way of structure and business assets to Manager Delmar.”
Frank Keeney’s main theater in Williamsport, Keeney’s Theatre, was renamed the Keystone Theatre at some point in the 1920s, and both the Keystone and the Grand are mentioned in an item in the July 15, 1927 issue of The Film Daily under the headline “New Manager at Williamsport”, which says “Gregory W. Beck has been named manager of the Keystone and Grand.”

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 7, 2021 at 7:59 pm

The December 4, 1920 issue of The Moving Picture World had this item:

“Frank A. Keeney added a second house — the Grand — to his holdings in Williamsport, Pa., and after renovation opened it as Keeney’s Grand. The other house plays vaudeville and pictures with the Grand as a straight picture house.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.