403 Cumberland Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Paragon Picture House
Located in the Gorbals district in the south of Glasgow. The Paragon Picture House in the Gorbals was converted from a church building. Only a few cosmetic changes and the addition of a projection room distinguished the 1,300 seat cinema from the church, with the original pews being retained inside.
Soon after its opening in 1912, the Paragon Picture House was bought by Richard V. Singleton in November 1912. It was remodelled in 1927 to the plans of architect Albert V. Gardner & William R. Glen. Seating was provided for 1,319 with 950 in stalls and 369 in balcony levels. The proscenium was 35ft wide and it was soon equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system. George Singleton sold it to the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd. on 8th March 1937 and it was re-named Paragon Theatre. Always regarded as a downmarket cinema, the Paragon Theatre was closed by Circuits Management Association Ltd.(soon to become the Rank Organisation) in June 1958 following the stabbing to death of an elderly doorman. It was demolished soon afterwards and housing has been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.