Grand Central Cinema
6 Lower O'Connell Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: Frederick William Higginbotham
Firms: Robinson & Keefe
Previous Names: D.B.C. Picture House
Situated in the north of the city centre, the Dublin Bread Company’s headquarters were destroyed during the 1916 Rebellion.
Rebuilding on the site started in 1919. The new building included a cinema, which opened on 10th October 1921 as the D.B.C. Picture House, but soon became known as the Grand Central Cinema.
The building had a striking stone facade, designed in the Neo-Classical style, with a distinctive glazed canopy that extended over the pavement. The teak-panelled foyer led into an auditorium that had an eye-catching, domed ceiling - and the city’s steepest raked balcony.
The glazed canopy was badly damaged during a bomb attack in April 1923 and later removed.
Sadly, more misfortune visited the Grand Central on 13th September 1946, when a violent electrical storm caused a fire which completely gutted the building. The site was sold in 1949 to Hibernian Bank, which erected a new building behind the reconstructed facade. The building is now home to a branch of Bank of Ireland.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.