235 Valencia Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Werner & O'Brien
The Valencia Theater opened as a legitimate theater on September 8, 1908, one of many theaters to spring up in the aftermath of the 1906 earthquake. Opening with plays by the Valencia Stock Company, it hosted other stage shows, one of the most notable being the Mario Lombardi Opera Company in 1911.
As stage shows began to die off, the Valencia Theater eventually began to show movies beginning in the 1920’s and continued as a movie house for many years afterward.
It was acquired by the Greek Orthodox Church in 1962 and was transformed into the Cathedral of the Annuniciation, continuing as a church for the remainder of its days.
The Valencia Theater, built in part as a response to one earthquake (and in its legitimate heyday, dubbed ‘San Francisco’s safest and most beautiful playhouse’), sustained mortal wounds from another—the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, and was subsequently demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.