Murray Hill Cinema
160 E. 34th Street,
10 people favorited this theater
Firms: Averitt Associates
Previous Names: Murray Hill Lyceum, 34th Street Theatre, Murray Hill Theatre
News About This Theater
- May 21, 2010 — Happy 30th, "Empire"
Originally opened as the Murray Hill Lyceum in 1893. In 1920 it was listed as the 34th Street Theatre with a seating capacity of 600. By 1926 it was operated by the Yost Theater Circuit. A Seeburg-Smith organ had been installed.
Later known as the Murray Hill Theatre, this was a moderately sized cinema that sort of mirrored the Sutton Theatre uptown and the former 34th Street East Theatre down the block. It was remodeled in 1959 in a ‘Moderne’ style to the plans of architect Benjamin Schlanger. This theatre was about to be renovated again when in 1986 while screening the film “Psycho III” the ceiling collapsed. Fortunately, no one was injured. The theatre was shut down and eventually demolished.
On December 21, 1990 it was rebuilt as a 1,200-seat quad with the same name but in the style of the City Cinemas 1-2-3 on 3rd Avenue and E. 59th Street. This, too, was short lived, as Loew’s Kips Bay 14 opened up in 1999. Two years later as business diminished for this and the Loew’s 34th Street Showplace down the street, they felt no need to continue operating. The theatre was closed on July 18, 2002 and was demolished to make way for a high-rise apartment.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.