55 High Street North,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Franklin & Deacon
No theaters found within 30 miles
The ‘new’ Palace Cinema was opened in 1920 and was built for Fred Marchant and was located adjacent to the Picturdrome, which was later re-named Palace Cinema and closed in 1917 and was demolished (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures). The ‘new’ Palace Cinema was designed by architectural firm Franklin & Deacon of Luton. Seating was provided for 400 in the stalls and 112 in the circle. It had a small stage. In 1930 it was sold to Southan Morris and was equipped with a RCA sound system. By 1934 it was operated by the Union Cinema Co. Ltd. chain.
In September 1937 the Union Cinema Co. Ltd opened their Union Cinema on the site of the first Palace Cinema. (The Union Cinema has its own page on Cinema Treasures). They closed the Palace Cinema at the end of August 1938. It has since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.