1250 New York Avenue NW,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Wood, Donn & Deming
Styles: Renaissance Revival
Previous Names: Masonic Temple Auditorium, Pix Theater
Located not far from the White House on a triangular plot of land bounded by New York Avenue NW, H Street and 13th Street. The Masonic Temple auditorium was built in 1908 and presented movies and vaudeville. There were two auditoriums: one on the first floor which had around 1,800-seats, the other on the fifth floor which had 700-seats. The large auditorium was used for movies from 1908 to 1919, 1941 to 1952 and again from 1959 to 1983. Following a remodel in 1941 the large auditorium was renames Pix Theatre on October 3, 1941 with Ilona Massey in “New Wine”. The Pix Theatre name was transferred to the former Leader Theatre on 9th Street.
A further remodel in 1959 brought a name change to Town Theatre and it reopened on March 28 1959 as a first run movie theatre with James Cagney in “Never Steal Anything Small”. Operated by Do King he passed over the operations to Welter Reade. It was refurbished in 1968. In the 1970’s it became an adult movie theatre.
On November 19, 1982 it was taken over by KB-Theatres and played general release movies, but this was not a great success and it was closed in ten months. The building was purchsed by The National Museum of Women in the Arts who converted the building into a museum. The first floor auditorium was remodeled into a grand hall and a new 200-seat auditorium was created on the third floor.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.