1207 Race Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Office Space
Previous Names: Alcazar Theatre
After the Grand Theatre moved its operation from the old Coliseum building, it took up residence in the opera house at the rear of the Masonic Temple.
Shown as ‘being built’ on the 1892 Sanborn, the building was a large three-story brick structure with offices at the front below a Masonic hall on the third floor. The rear of the structure was a large opera house with a generous horseshoe shaped balcony. This section was actually slightly wider than the front. The stage at the rear was fairly large, and under a tall tin-clad fly tower.
By at least 1901, the opera house was known as the Alcazar Theatre. Sometime in or around 1922, the Grand Theatre moved from main street to the opera house. The structure appears unchanged on the 1924 Sanborn. The balcony now has a crudely rendered oval shape, but this may be due to the surveyor’s ability.
Sometime in 1926, the theatre burned. The Masons remodeled the rear section, and extended their lodge hall into the rear of the structure. The side walls appear to date from the original building, but are 8' shorter. Storefronts were cut into the ground floor, facing S 12th St. The building today is occupied by county offices.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.