Argyle Picture House
51 Argyle Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: George A. Boswell
Previous Names: Argyle Electric Theatre
Located in the city centre. A conversion of a roller skating rink, the Argyle Electric Theatre was opened on 23rd December 1910 presenting pictures and variety. It had a very narrow façade & entrance It was designed by architect George A. Boswell and had 754-seats. Around 1930 it was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system and it was re-named Argyle Picture House.
In 1938 it was rebuilt in an Art Deco style, again to the plans of architect George A. Boswell with a seating capacity of 1,250, re-opening on 21st November 1938. The façade had a slender tower feature on the right-hand side. The proscenium was 38ft wide. It was independently operated. The Argyle Picture House was closed on 21st March 1960. It was demolished in 1963. A parade of shops and an entrance to Argyle Street Railway Station were built on this extended site, with a W.H. Smith store on the site of the cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.