1397 Maryhill Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Rank Organisation
Firms: Lennox and McMath
Situated in the Maryhill district of Glasgow, this site was originally the Maryhill Picture House (1914-1929). The Roxy Cinema opened on 15th September 1930 under the ownership of James Graham. Interestingly, there were 2,270 seats - 10 fewer than when the Roxy Cinema closed. The proscenium was 38ft wide and the stage 20ft deep. There were six dressing rooms. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system.
Despite its rather grand name, the Roxy Cinema was apparently little more than a large barn, although the twin-towered façade stood out in the otherwise undistinguished streetscape.
On 4th April 1945 the cinema was sold to Glasgow and West of Scotland Cinemas Ltd., and it was then acquired by Circuits Management Association (Rank) on 23rd April 1955.
The Roxy Cinema closed on 15th October 1962. It was soon demolished together with the surrounding run-down tenements. A community shopping development & a pub were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.