8 Fore Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Functions: Community Center
Previous Names: Electric Picture Palace, Castle Cinema
In the centre of Wellington, Somerset, the Electric Picture Palace opened in premises situated behind the Castle Inn. It is not known when it first opened, but it was listed in the 1914 Kinematograph Year Book, as being in Castle Hall, and operated by the Wellington Picture Company.
The 1923 Kinematograph Year Book also lists this as the Electric Picture Palace, after which Wellington (Somerset) does not feature at all in further editions of those books until the Wellesley Kinema (see separate Cinema Treasures entry) opened in July 1937.
Apparently the Electric Picture Palace was renamed the Castle Cinema at some stage, possibly later in the 1920’s, and around 1930 it was equipped with a Mihaley sound system. It was further renamed the Tivoli Cinema in 1933.
The Tivoli Cinema closed in May 1937, prior to the opening of the Wellesley Kinema.
It is not known what uses the building went into over the years, but, at Easter 1998, it re-opened as the headquarters of the 1st Wellington Scout Group, which use continues.
The Castle Inn has since also closed. The building on the street is now in shop use (most recently Coral Bookmakers).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.