55 Market Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Cinema Theatre, Cosy Cinema, Longton Cinema, Criterion Cinema
Located in Longton, Staffordshire, one of the Potteries towns close to Stoke-on-Trent. The Cinema Theatre was opened on 14th October 1911 by the London Cinematograph Company. It had a 30ft wide proscenium. In 1923 it was renamed Cosy Cinema and in 1927 it had been renamed Longton Cinema. In 1929 it was renamed Criterion Cinema. In 1930 it was equipped with a AWH sound system, which was replaced by 1944 with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system.
On 19th December 1950 it was renamed Focus Cinema. By 1953 it had been equipped with a GB-Kalee sound system. It was equipped with CinemaScope on 29th August 1955 when the first film screened in that process was “Vera Cruz” starring Burt Lancaster.
The Focus Cinema was closed on 16th June 1962 with Elizabeth Taylor in “Little Women”. It was demolished in 1963 and a bank was built on the site, which by 2019 had been converted into four retail units.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.