No one has favorited this theater yet
Despite a size of fewer than 500 residents, downtown Homer had three motion picture theatres in its history. The first was the silent-era Rialto Theatre and the second was the Star Theatre. Fred Randolph Baker opened the new Star Theatre in 1923. The theatre was expanded in 1925, added a steroptican slide projector in 1927, and added the first of two sound systems in 1929.
The Star Theatre progressed from disc-based sound to sound-on-film with a Largen sound system in 1934. The announcement of a new theatre being built in town - the Roxy Theatre - found Baker moving the theatre’s operation just six miles away to diminutive Winnebago, Nebraska. The Star Theatre closed permanently on January 17, 1940 with Fred Stone in “Konga, the Wild Stallion”.
Unfortunately, Baker would die while relaunching the Star Theatre in Winnebago. Months later, the new Roxy Theatre would open in Homer with the film, “Three Cheers for the Irish” on August 2, 1940.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.