518 W. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Yale Theatre
The Yale Theatre launched in 1911 beginning briefly with live entertainment. G.C. Groce, projectionist at Henryetta’s Ariel Theatre, left to co-own the Yale Theatre with Charles Blaine. The pair made it a movie theatre at the grand (re-) opening on September 23, 1911. The neighboring Red Cross Drug Store served as a de facto concession stand prior to and after shows.
In 1917, the Yale Theatre was improved which included the near doubling of the seating capacity. Ten years later, the Yale Theatre was an afterthought as Blaine would turn his attention to the Blaine Theatre. When the Blaine Theatre opened on September 1, 1926, it represented a marked improvement over the Yale Theatre. The Yale Theatre was dropped by Blaine in 1927 and had sporadic uses and dates into 1928.
J.S. Holcombe and J.P Jones took on the venue re-seating it and giving it both new projectors and a new moniker in the Concord Theatre. The Concord Theatre took off with the Tiffany film, “Once and Forever” starring Patsy Ruth Miller, supported by the Carole Lombard film, “Run, Girl, Run” on January 30, 1929. G.L. Sandlin took over the venue and transition it to DeForest Phonofilm sound on April 18, 1930.
Ken Maynard and his horse, Tarzan, starred in “Alias Bad Man” supported by Mickey Rooney in “Micky’s Rebellion” and the short, “Vagabond Adventures” on the showing of August 2, 1931. The Concord Theatre burned down along with five other buildings on August 3, 1931 ending its run. After the building stood charred for a period, the government purchased the building for $7,000.
After razing the former theatre building, the post office of Henryetta was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1935. That was followed by the local public library that was still in the building in the 2020’s.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.