Point Chevalier Theatre
1218 Great North Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Kerridge-Odeon
Architects: Sinclair O'Connor
Previous Names: Ambassador Theatre
Located in the Point Chevalier district, 5km to the east of Auckland city centre. The Ambassador Theatre was opened on 10th April 1929. It was designed in a Spanish Mission style by architect Sinclair O'Connor and originally had over 1,000-seats. It was independently operated until 1956 when it was taken over by the Kerridge-Odeon chain and following refurbishment it reopened with John Gregson in “The Battle of the River Plate. It was closed in 1985.
It then lay derelict until 1996 when it was briefly taken over by the Assembly of God Church. Later in 1996 it was acquired by artist Peter Roche, with a stipulation in the sale that it would nor be used as a cinema for 25 years. He and a team of enthusiasts renovated the building to become his living space and a studio/workshop for designing neon work A portion of the building is in use as the Cupid Bar which presents live music.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.