Picture and Variety Palace
Bank Field Terrace,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: E. Tweddle
Previous Names: Imperial Cinema
Located on Bank Field Terrace, off the main Newcastle to Hexham Road, in the village of Throckley to the west of Newcastle upon Tyne. The building was constructed out of corrugated iron on its side walls and roof. It was the former Picturedrome of Newburn (October 1910-1911) which was designed by architect E. Tweddle of West Hartlepool. It was dismantled and and transported to Throckley by operator Towyn Thomas in October 1912. An additional 12ft was added to its length. It was granted a Cinematograph Licence on 12th November 1912.
In July 1922 it was taken over by Charles Nichol and was re-named Imperial Cinema. On 12th December 1922 it was destroyed by fire. A car park now occupies the site
The village of Throckley was without a cinema until the Lyric Cinema was opened in 1935 (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures)
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.