H Street Playhouse
1365 H Street NE,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Plymouth Theatre
The building which today houses the 150-seat H Street Playhouse, home of the Theatre Alliance, was originally built in 1928. Located on H Street NE between 13th Street and 14th Street in the Rosedale neighborhood, the building was built for a car dealership.
Until 1943, various car dealerships were housed in the building. That year, a 300 seat movie house was constructed in the building, called the Plymouth Theatre, after the last kind of car dealership in business there. The Plymouth Theatre operated as a movie theatre until 1952.
After sitting vacant a couple years, a roller skating rink briefly operated in the former theatre, followed by a furniture store, then a printing company, and finally a “soul food” restaurant, which closed in 2001. It was acquired by Bruce and Adele Robey, who opened the H Street Playhouse in the space in 2002 as a home to the Theatre Alliance as a venue for live theatre and various other live performances. Besides the 150-seat main auditorium, the H Street Playhouse also houses the Gallery H and a rehearsal studio.
It had closed by 2014 and is now a Cross Fit DC gymnasium.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.