114 N. Waggoner Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Grand Theatre (Official)
Architects: William Clayton Meador
Firms: Meador & Wolfe
Styles: Spanish Baroque
This large and very attractive theatre is about the only presentable building in the run-down town of Electra. It was built in 1919 for $135,000, and was first used as a vaudeville house. The theatre features a yellow brick facade with short towers on either side, and a very nice lobby transom with petal shaped panes.
The marquee is blue and orange, and appears to be from the 1940’s. The Grand Theatre closed in March 1974, but was open for a short time later. This was then followed by years of neglect and a faulty roof.
It is now owned by the City of Electra and managed by the 501©3 nonprofit Electra Grand Theatre Inc., the Grand Theatre is the location of occasional community events between renovation projects. The Grand Theatre is still a ‘work in progress’, and funding is underway in 2013 for the restoration of the proscenium arch. Tax deductible donations to the project may be sent to the Grand Electra Theatre, Inc., 101 N. Main Street, Electra, Texas, 76360.
The historic theatre was designated a Registered Texas Historical Landmark by the Texas Historical Commission in 2006, and the local Main Street organisation offered free Friday morning tours of this historical treasure in downtown Electra.
Following restorations, the Grand Theatre was reopened in June 2019 as a live music/concert venue.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.