Showing 3,551 - 3,575 of 4,019 comments
Opened with a matinee showing of “Roaring Twenties” on November 21, 1939. Opening picture in photos.
… or is is “This is the Army”? I believe it’s the latter after closer inspection.
Technically, it’s the Haven Theatre. Though the original owner was J.H. Havens according to the newspaper, in 1920, it became the Haven Theatre under new management which it remained until closure. It was advertised as Havens Theatre Haven’s Theatre, and Havens' Theatre only from 1914-1920.
In October of 1914, it did simulcasts of the World Series with live announcers using Western Union telegrams that were about 15 seconds behind real time and utilizing a giant scoreboard. Those proved popular in the pre-broadcasting era. Under Warner operation, however, the theater hit its high water mark during World War II with a massive city-wide parade to celebrate Warner’s wartime feature of “In the Army Now.” But animosity between the Warner circuit and the local Palace Theatre erupted into a long-running court battle launched in 1946, waged in the courts beginning in 1948, and finally decided in 1955 — after the Paramount consent decree found Warner relinquishing its theaters.
BTW: The aforementioned Style D Wurlitzer Opus 566 was salvaged at the last minute prior to a 1959 demolition shuffling off to Buffalo’s Klauder Hall.
Technically, this entry should be the State Theatre. The Modi family started with the Acme Theatre. The highlight of that theater’s existence was when Gloria Swanson appeared there briefly in 1925 promoting her film, “Manhandled.” As Swanson was shooting a film in the general area, she was able to make personal appearances to promote that film.
The Modi family added the Modi Theatre as part of the Modi Theatre Building encompassing mulitple businesses. This entry — for the original Modi Theatre at 137 W. Main — was an establishment showing movies, hosting Charleston contests, minstrel shows, and other local events. The Modi family leaves the area for a period and the Modi under new management becomes the State Theatre. (Therefore, the entry should be the State formerly Modi Theatre.) The Acme Theatre closes.
In November of 1936, the Modi family returns to Barnesville taking on the State Theatre. And the Modis decided to build a second theater as a near neighbor. To do so, they had to acquire a wood frame building next door and raze it. Then they created the new theater building at 145 W. Main all made to be within the expanded Modi Theatre Building. It was called the Ohio Theatre at opening in July 24, 1937 and was an almost-immediate failure closing in October 1937.
The Ohio was reopened on January 2, 1938 when crowds overran the State Theatre which was showing the Japanese bombing of the U.S.S. Panay in China. Hoping to ensure success for both theaters, the family secures better parking by taking over the M&K bakery in 1938, razing the building, and providing parking lots. The short-term success is evidenced by 3,200 patrons coming to see “Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs” at just 17 screenings. But the Ohio struggled post-Snow White and is only open two days a week beginning in January of 1940.
The family does appear to change the spelling of its name during World War II from Modi to Modie. They add heated sidewalks to their theaters to avoid patrons slipping on ice. Both theaters would close in the TV era with the State coming back full time in 1962 to try films with Wurlitzer organ music prior to the shows. That was short-lived appearing to last to 1964 when it mixed in a very heavy does of live stage presentations. This was followed by the library using the State for storage and the theater closing. The Ohio would become the Heritage Bank and then a thrift store.
Local paper covers the February 21, 1946 grand opening of the Malco Hot Springs Theatre costing $100,000 with those attending including Malco President M.A. Lightman and Malco Music Hall manager W. Clyde Smith. Some pictures of the Feb. 21, 1946 evening are posted in photos if interested.
“Days of ‘76” an entry in Warners’ “Sports Parade” series of shorts detailing an annual event in Deadwood —-one-time home to Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, —– where locals revive the past — had its world premiere here. The town celebrated accordingly.
Architected by Peacock and Belongia of Milwaukee for Harry Melcher’s M. & E. Amusement Company. A “theatre of tomorrow” concept imagined with stadium style seating. Plans were made in 1946 and construction began in 1947 according to two sources.
Opened Feb.12, 1947.
Opening date in error above. The theatre launched January 23, 1947 for the H.J Griffith Circuit with Mark Fuller as the manager.
The Cameo was indeed constructed in 1945 but wartime shortages of materials led to the theatre’s delay finally opening on Christmas Day 1946 with the banner “Our Christmas gift to Eau Claire.” The MIndako Circuit is credited as the first operator of the theatre on that day.
Completed in 1946 and first film was shown January 23,1947.
Opened in 1949 by Bert Rayburn.
On Labor Day 1946, the city of Paulding lost the Grand to a fire and went theaterless until March 10, 1949 when it celebrated the grand opening of the Paulding Theatre. Complete with parade and a benefit screening of “She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.”
The Ballantyne Company had a turn key operation in which they could construct a drive-in in three weeks. Having built 38 with many in Texas, the Abilene firm ventured to Maine in 1949 creating the Winslow quickly for the Lockwood & Gordon Circuit.
BamBam: The theatre cost $75,000 to build and seated 500 at opening in October of 1941. Conservative streamline moderne was used to describe the post-deco theatre. Seating was on a radial curve and it eliminated line of sight blockage. W.I. Bill Brotman had been a manager of Moline’s Ritz Theatre for 15 years and moved to the Hiland at opening. The Brotmans had five theaters in the Quad Cities with the Roxy, the Paradise, the Rialto in Rock Island, the Ritz, and the Hiland. Not one of their more successful properties, it ran into financial troubles in the television era.
Architected by George Howard Barrows of Cleveland with Anthony Wayne Development Co building the $500,000 theatre/bowling center.
Georgia Theatres Circuit Inc. launched the Roxy Theatre for African American audiences in 1946 seating 520 patrons. Harry E. Martin was the operator of the theatre.
Opened March 15, 1947, the Crescent Drive-In held 620 cars and cost $90,000 for Consolidate Theatre Circuit of Charlotte.
Opening in 1946 was the K&K Drive-in named for owners J.F. Knuth and L.A. Knowles. There’s room for 636 cars.
Correction: The opening name of this theatre in May of 1949 was the 50 Hiwa Drive-In Theatre. (No “y” or “gh” in the name.)
The 50 Hiwa Drive-In Theatre was architected by Beverly Miller & Associates in Kansas City. Miller had designed similar ozoners in Kansas City and St. Joseph. The 40x50' image was projected on a 60' high tower. The 350-car theatre also had walk-up seating for 200 additional patrons. Durwood Theatres — operators of the local State and Capitol indoor theatre — didn’t take kindly to the Hiway and decided to build a bigger drive-in just west of the city called the Skylark with capacity for 500 cars. It was on.
Opened as the Borderland Auto Theatre late in the 1949 season, the ozoner got its name for being so close to the U.S. / Canada boarder. Because drive-ins could legally operate on Sunday in Maine but not in Canada, the Maine location drew mostly Canadian customers from nearby Woodstock New Brunswick.
Opened July 1, 1949 with fireworks and the films “Coroner Creek” and Abbott and Costello’s “Pardon My Sarong.”
Conceptualized as the Twin-City Drive-In Theatre between Spearfish and Deadwood, the theatre celebrated its grand opening on May 7, 1952 with “Treasure of Lost Canyon.” That December, however, a strong windstorm toppled the original screen. It was rebuilt easily in time for the 1953 season. The theatre is about where a Hills Pet Food Factory was in the mid-2010s on the opposite side of the road near the Black Hills Airport at 4025 E Colorado Blvd, Spearfish, SD 57783.
Durwood Theatres had a movie lock in Jeff-City at the end of the 1940s with the established four-wall Capital and State. But an independent decided to build an ozoner ultimately named the Hiwa 50 Drive-In Theatre in 1949. Durwood decided to build an even larger drive-in to undercut the newly-created indy. And on September 22, 1949, the Skylark Drive-In Theatre launched for the Durwood Circuit.
Late in the 1955 season, a new bridge for Jeff-City opened giving an improved traffic flow for the drive-in. Ads said “ride the bridge to the Skylark.” But a light bulb went on, and for the 1956 season, the Skylark was renamed for the structure it was just past and was called the New Bridge Drive-In Theatre for the entire ‘56 season. In 1957, “new” was gone and it became the Drive-In Theatre which would receive significant upgrades for the 1959 season.
American Mutlicinema (AMC) took on the Durwood portfolio in 1961 including the Bridge.The Bridge would fall into controversy in 1971 while showing the X-rated “Myra Breckenridge.”
This drive-in started as a 350-car drive-in on Highway 20 two miles north of the city launching in 1949.