220 Weybosset Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: William R. Walker & Son
Previous Names: Conn's City Theatre
The Gaiety Theatre was opened as a motion picture theatre on September 14, 1914. It was located on Weybosset Street opposite Mathewson Street, which is the precise location where Loew’s State Theatre was built in 1928 and which is now the grandiose Providence Performing Arts Center. The Gaiety Theatre was renamed Conn’s City Theatre in 1925 and was closed in 1927 to be demolished in April 1927 when the Loew’s block was built and replaced it. The manager was Jacob Conn.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 17 comments)
The movies shown on opening day, September 14, 1914, were The Wrath of the Gods, “6 Reel Masterpiece Which Broke All Records at the Strand Theatre, New York,” and Weights and Measures, “Two-Reel Universal Feature.” The ad said that programs would change three times a week and would be continuous between 10:30 A.M. to 10:30 P.M. Sunday showings of movies and performances of plays were banned at the time.
dougvbrown-files -061230 The Gerry DeLuca “This Old Postcard of Weybosset St” posted Jun 17-2005 ( see comment # 3 above ) —approx date of photo was taken before, 1921 when the 4 story Grosvenor bldg (cor Weybosset & Eddy Sts) was razed and after Sep 1914 when the Gaiety Theatre was opened.
Further photo date pin down – if one can read the Jacob Wirth Cafe signs –( cor Weybosset St. & Garnet St. ) was used by The Outlet Co Men’s furnishings dept from 1917 to 1923 when the Ex- Wirth’s bldg was razed- ( ref- “The Outlet Story -page 31 -RI Hist Soc Library Providence RI –)
Here is a full shot photo of the Gaiety Theatre, circa 1918. The film playing is Law’s Outlaw with Roy Stewart. Photo courtesy of Laura Frommer, granddaughter of Jabob Conn.
Correction: great-granddaughter of Jacob Conn.
The Gaiety operated from 1914 to 1927, when it was demolished for the construction of Loew’s State, now Providence Performing Arts Center. The Gaiety occupied the space where the entrance lobby to PPAC is now located.
In September 1920, this theatre was part of the celebration of the 3rd annual Paramount Week. CLICK HERE for all participating RI area theatres and the titles of the films shown.
In September 1922 this theatre was part of Rhode Islandâ€™s Paramount Week. Click to see the ad in Providence News, September 1, 1922, which contains a list of all participating theatres as well as the films shown that week.
PART ONE OF AD
PART TWO OF AD
In September 1920 this theatre participated in Paramount Week.
CLICK HERE FOR AD
AD FROM 1926.
The June 13, 1914, issue of The American Contractor said that the general contract for construction of the Gaiety Theatre on Weybosset Street, Providence, had been awarded to Famigliette Bros.. The project was designed by William R. Walker & Son.