Sun Wah Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Sun Wah Theatre was situated in the Mongkok district on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong. “Sun Wah”, meaning “New China”, is the Cantonese pronunciation of its Chinese name. It was built by a Brazilian millionaire living in Hong Kong and managed by the Ng brothers.
The cinema opened to business on 21st October 1940, and it showed Chinese dialect and English language films at low ticket prices until the outbreak of war on 8th December 1941.
It reopened at an unknown date after the war. Before its closure on 9th April 1958, it showed first run Cantonese language and selected Mandarin language films.
The Gala Theatre (q.v.) was built on the site of the Sun Wah Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 4 comments)
During the war years,it showed films censored by the Japanese Army.Cantonese operas were also performed at the theatre.
The photograph is wrong.
Its English name should be Sun Wah Theatre, sorry.