112 S. Kilgore Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: Leon C. Kyburz
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The Crim Theatre was built in 1938 and opened on June 21, 1939 with Cary Grant in “Only Angels Have Wings”. It was built by East Texas Theatres Inc. to be the finest and most modern theatre in Texas and it lived up to that goal. It was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Julius Gordon.
It was closed in the mid-1960’s and the Crim name was transferred to the Texan Theatre which operated until 1972. In 2015 the neon has been restored on the façade of the Crim Theatre building and is illuminated at night. The building however, sits vacant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 5 comments)
Here is a 1980 photo by Michael Putnam:
A 1989 photo of the CRIM.
Here is a June 2007 photo from wikipedia:
A view from 1938 during Kilgore’s oil boom days of the Crim Theater with oil well derricks directly behind the building.
Opened June 21st, 1939.
Crim theatre opening Sun, Jun 18, 1939 – 25 · The Kilgore News Herald (Kilgore, Texas) · Newspapers.com