85-89 High Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: John Stanley Beard
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Capitol Cinema
The Capitol Cinema opened on 23rd December 1927 and was a project of Lou Morris. Seating was provided for 725 in the stalls and 290 in the circle. It had a 40 feet wide proscenium, a stage 20 feet deep and was built for cine/variety use.
In 1934 it was taken over by the London & Southern Super Cinemas Ltd. circuit and from July 1937 they were taken over by the Odeon Theatres Ltd. circuit which was operated by Oscar Deutsch.
Renamed Odeon on 18th March 1946 it was closed by the Rank Organisation on 29th November 1980 with Jamie Lee Curtis in “The Fog”.
The building stood empty for ten years until it was demolished in 1990 and a new development was built on the site. This contains a twin-screen cinema known as the Screen Walton-on-Thames, that opened in 1992 and was taken over by Everyman in 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.