1 person favorited this theater
Architects: H. J. Hammick
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Studio 7
The Plaza Cinema opened in Treville Street (today re-named Bretonside) in February 1934. It was built for an independent operator and was designed by architect H.J. Hammick. It had a 30 feet wide proscenium.
On 3rd March 1935 it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC). It was taken over by Star Associated Cinemas Ltd. of Leeds on 1st April 1969 and was re-named Studio 7 on 9th December 1969.
Taken over by the Shipman and King circuit on 28th March 1976, it reverted back to the original Plaza Cinema name. Surviving on a programme policy of mainly adult sex films (with ‘X’ certificates), the Plaza Cinema closed on 4th October 1981 with "Sex On The Rocks" and "Blue Movie Star".
It was converted into a shopping arcade named the Barbican Plaza and also contains a snooker club. By July 2019 the shopping centre had been converted into an Indian restaurant. The Plaza Snooker Club still operates.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.