8990 Grand River Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: United Detroit Theaters
Architects: John Adolph Emil Eberson
Previous Names: Riviera Annex Theatre
The Annex Theatre, or Riviera Annex Theatre, as it was called when it first opened February 4, 1927, was designed by John Eberson to accomodate overflow crowds at his Grand Riviera Theatre (later called just the Riviera Theatre) up Grand River Avenue.
It could seat 1,824, and was designed in an Atmospheric style, matching the original Riviera Theatre’s design. It also contained an organ and a small stage, which most likely was never used.
In an unusual layout, this one-floor theatre contained something called a "mezzanine lounge". Some believe that the original design for the Annex Theatre called for a full balcony, but it was never added.
In another quirky move, Eberson had the projection booth placed under the main stairway leading up to the mezzanine level.
The Annex Theatre closed its doors in 1949 due to declining attendance, and was demolished around 1960.
The site is today occupied by a school of cosmetology.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.