108 E. Franklin Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Architects: Erle G. Stillwell
Styles: Colonial Revival
- Varsity Theatre
- Ram Triple Theater
- Carolina Union Student Cent...
- Standard Theatre
- Hollywood Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jul 6, 2009 — Smaller theaters struggle to keep pace in recession
The Carolina Theatre originally opened October 15, 1942, replacing an earlier 1927 built Carolina Theatre, which became the Village Theatre. The New Carolina Theatre had 1,145 seats, while the old Carolina theatre had 850 seats.
In 1971, it was split into two screens, keeping the original lobby entrance. One screen was the ‘Blue’ auditorium, the other was named the ‘White’ auditorium. It remained that way until the 1990’s, when the building closed and was relocated as a single screen theatre that played arthouse features and independent films. The last movie to play at the Carolina Theatre was the documentary feature “The March of the Penguins”. The theatre closed its doors for good in July 2005, and its lobby was converted into a Gap store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.