Walter Kerr Theatre
219 W. 48th Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Walter Kerr Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Shubert Brothers Theater Company
Architects: Herbert J. Krapp
Functions: Live Theater
Previous Names: Ritz Theatre
The Ritz Theatre, designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp was opened on March 21, 1921 with “Mary Stuart”, which ran for 40 performances. The theatre was built for the Shubert Theatre Corporation. Closed during the Depression, it was reopened on February 16, 1937 as part of the Federal Theatre Project with “Murder in the Cathedral”, and closing with “Pinocchio” on June 30, 1939. Later in 1939, the theatre was used for radio broadcasts and in the 1950’s as a TV studio. In the 1960’s it became an adult movie theatre.
In the 1970’s the Ritz Theatre was home to the Robert F. Kennedy Children’s Theatre which screened movies. The Ritz Theatre was renovated in 1983 and from April 16, 1990 the name was changed to the Walter Kerr Theatre in honor of Walter Kerr, Pulitzer Prize winning critic and playwright.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.