Town Hall Theatre
1 Courthouse Square,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Town Hall Theatre (Official)
Previous Names: Town Hall Cinema
Located in Galway, County Galway. The building was originally opened in 1825 as a Court House, later becoming a Town Hall. It was designed by local architect Alexander Hay. The Town Hall began screening films in November 1912. By 1934 it was known as the Town Hall Cinema and had 600 seats. It was initially equipped with a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system around 1930, later replaced with a RCA sound system. It presented pictures and variety. The proscenium was 28ft wide and the stage 20ft deep. There were four dressing rooms. By 1971 it had been re-named Town Hall Theatre, still in use as a cinema.
It was refurbished in the 1970’s, but had deteriorated by the 1990’s when further renovations were carried out, re-opening 1st February 1996. It now serves as a theatre, art centre and cinema, with a 400 seat auditorium and a 52-seat studio space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.