901 E. Broad Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: WRVA Theatre
Opened in 1913 as Richmond’s home of Keith vaudeville, the 1,800-seat Lyric Theatre operated as a combination house (vaudeville and movies) during the 1920’s, but remained a silent house.
In the 1930’s it became the home of the Richmond Theatre Guild, presenting live theatre, which policy continued into the 1940’s. In 1948 the Lyric Theatre was taken over by a radio station and became the WRVA Theatre, known for its live broadcast, “The Old Dominion Barn Dance". By this time the seating capacity had been reduced to 1,300.
In 1957 the Barn Dance was moved to another venue, and the Lyric Theatre returned to hosting occasional live theatrical events presented by local performance groups. The Lyric Theatre was closed and demolished in 1963.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
The WRVA Theatre Was Named After The Radio Station Giant Here In Richmond, Via 1140 AM (Now Known As NewsRadio 1140 AM And 96.1 FM, A Class-A News/Talk Station).
Opened on august 26th, 1913. Grand opening ad posted.