Buckhorn Drive-In

2014 US-83 Business,
Mission, TX 78572

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Additional Info

Nearby Theaters

Buckhorn Drive-In

The Buckhorn Drive-In was opened on June 8, 1949 with Errol Flynn in “The Adventures of Don Juan”. It was operated by H.C. Gunter. By 1955 it was operated by R.G. Ramsland. It was closed around 1974.

Contributed by Trail drive in

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

Kenmore on July 28, 2021 at 5:03 am

A closer address is 2014 US-83 Business, Mission, TX.

This puts it right where the old entrance road used to be. The drive-in was still intact in 1995, although it does appear to be closed. By 2002, it had been replaced mostly by a residential neighborhood. While several businesses occupy the area around the entrance.

There is no trace of the drive-in remaining.

kennerado on July 29, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Opened with a special invitation only screening of “Adventures of Don Juan” on June 7, 1949.

robboehm on July 29, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Uploaded a Library of Congress photo of the pylon by John Margolis. As the area developed there was a problem with ambient lighting.

davidcoppock on July 30, 2021 at 3:57 am

Why the name Buckhorn?

robboehm on July 30, 2021 at 7:47 am

Good question. A buckhorn is the horn from deer used to make knife handles. There have been two towns in Texas with that name. There is a Buckhorn Museum in San Antonio. There are a number of other towns in various parts of the USA name Buckhorn. The definitive answer is ask the person who built it why it was so named.

50sSNIPES on July 30, 2021 at 5:04 pm

Bill Ramaland, a former theatre operator of a Corpus Christi area town of Alice (who formerly operated one out of 5 theaters (2 theaters and 3 drive-ins)) was the operator of the theater by manager Jack Humphries, manger of the Mission Chamber of Commerce who broke the ground on April 17, 1949.

The theater made its formal opening on June 7, 1949 with a barbecue cookout announced by R. J. Ramsland and H. C. Gunder. It would later open its gates to the public the next day on June 8, 1949 with Errol Flynn in “Adventures Of Don Juan”.

50sSNIPES on July 30, 2021 at 5:10 pm

Closed In 1974 Or 1975.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.