2284 Kalakaua Avenue,
8 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Consolidated Theatres
Architects: Charles William Dickey
Firms: C.W. Dickey & Associates
Previous Names: Waikiki Theater
News About This Theater
The Waikiki Theater opened August 20, 1936 with Ronald Colman in “Under Two Flags”. It was a single screen Atmospheric style theater. It was complete with (among other things) an artificial rainbow, tropical vegetation and coconut trees. Artificial clouds were also projected on a midnight-blue curved ceiling. In 1939, the Waikiki Theater was equipped with a Robert Morton theatre organ, which had originally been installed (with a twin console) in the Hawaii Theatre, Honolulu in 1929.
The change in name (to Waikiki Theater 3) occurring in 1969 when the twin Waikiki Theatrer’s 1 and 2 opened adjacent to the original theater. There has never been any physical connection between the buildings. The Waikiki 3 remained a single screen facility.
This theater closed in November 2002, and its grand organ was removed. Sadly, the Waikiki 3 was demolished in April of 2005.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.