608 South Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Firms: Hodgens & Hill
Previous Names: Ripley Music Hall, Hippodrome Palace Theatre
The Ripley Music Hall opened in 1909 on South Street near 6th Street and could seat 510. The theatre was later renamed the Hippodrome Palace Theatre, which was later shortened to just the Hippodrome Theatre.
In 1925, the firm of Hodgens & Hill was hired to remodel the Hippodrome Theatre, and with an increased seating capacity of 600, it was possibly at this time that Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. took over the operation of the theatre. They equipped the Hippodrome Theatre with a Western Electric(WE) sound system, but it was closed in 1931. It was still listed as a Warner Bros. owned theatre in the 1941 & 1943 editions of Film Daily Yearbook, but still listed as (Closed), obviously never having reopened.
Later demolished, a new building on the site of the Hippodrome Theatre was occupied by Tower Records, but by 2012, this had closed and the premises were vacant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.