The Circus Drive-In opened June 30, 1951 with “When the Redskins Rode” picking that date simply to annoy the opening of the Caprock Drive-In that opening the same night. “Construction” had only started on June 1, 1951 and was “completed” at month’s end.
Advertisements continue through the end of its first (only) season with “Brave Bulls” on November 7, 1951. The theater has no more ads and no more mentions following that. The reason it’s not seeable on the 1957 aerial is that it was, like a circus, long gone after it’s season (first) ended.
The Wagon Wheel started spinning May 1, 1951. But not at this address. This is the address for the Holiday Drive-In that opened in 1963 by the operators of the hardtop Lyric Theater in downtown.
The original Lyric Theatre held its grand opening on September 26, 1928 with “We Americans” on the big screen. Lyric #1 was located at 221 Main Street and converted to a retail store after its closure.
Grace and Wright Hale built the streamline moderne Lyric Theatre opening November 22, 1948 with the Palace Theatre continuing operation in the two-theater town until 1953. The Lyric converted to widescreen to show CinemaScope films In 1963, Wright and S.B. Hale, Jr., built the Holiday Drive-In returning Spearman to a two theater town.
The Marfa Opera House was where local residents saw their first films. The venue was first transformed into a movie house at the end of the silent era getting its Palace moniker / sound era name. The theater suffered a projection room explosion which destroyed both it and City Hall following its January 7, 1937 showtimes. Its current streamline moderne look occurred in a rebuilding of the showplace in 1937 by operator Oscar Korn launching as the Palace Theatre June 19, 1937.
Fiesta ads begin appearing early in 1951 - possibly its first season - as operated by Hodge’s H & H Theatres. The last ad for the Fiesta on October 30, 1967 “Africa: Texas Style!” likely at the end of its season. It appears to not reopen the following spring. The venue was rocked by a 1969 hail storm and high winds likely dooming the damaged property which purportedly was not operating at the time of the storm. It was later demolished.
The State Theatre was opened in 1937 by Homer Hodge at 106 South Main Street. Griffith Amusements operated it for a stretch with Hodge returning later. It was equipped with widescreen projection in 1954 to present CinemaScope films. The State closed on June 9, 1979. Homer Hodge offered the building as a donation to the City of Winters in 1981 (which it declined). The building was retrofitted as a professional building in 1983 and is used - as of the 2020s - as a retail building.
211 West Dale Street - Demolished in the late 1990s. Last film December 31, 1951 - “Cyclone of Fury.” Looks like Homer T. Hodge opened the Queen here in 1922. Installed sound on Mar 21, 1929 with “The Trail of ‘98” to remain viable.
A tip of the hat to the half dozen film hard top theater in Seymour’s history. Here’s the Texas Theatre on North Washington Street from 1933, 1940 and 1952
There were two Cozy Theater locations - both spelled with the letter “Z”. The first was the Queen Theatre in the silent era becoming the first of two Cozy locations. Homer Mulkey of th Pastime moved the Cozy to the Bosher Building with a streamlined theater seating 350 and bathed in green glass. The Pastime also got a new sound system allowing the “New” Cozy to have an upgraded hand-me-down sound on film system.
The New Cozy launched on October 18, 1935 with Tom Mix in “The Miracle Rider.” The former Queen turned Cozy was remodeled for retail purposes. The theatre burned down on February 28, 1945 prompted a new theater which became the Mulkey Theatre.
The New Plaza Theatre was a re-imagining of an existing 1884 landmark H. Schwartz Dry Goods Store building by C.D. Leon Theaters. The Spanish Colonial building opened on November 6, 1946 and its first film was “Aloma of South Seas.” A blue and buff lobby entered into an auditorium bathed in brown and red. They advertised “The Concert for Bangladesh” on June 16, 1973 and no more after that. Likely they continued but there is no advertising to go by.
September 21, 1950 grand opening ad with “Saddle Tramp” in photos. Architect was Harvey C. Allen of Lamesa. Ads are discontinued following Disney’s Tarzan on August 1, 1999
This theater became the Rio in 1938 and remained under that name until the opening of the new build Carlile Theater in Sep. 1950. The former Rio was remodeled in 1952 as the Westernn Hardware Store.
The Cinema Theatre opened next to Munden’s Discount Center on September 13, 1971 with “Little Big Man” and “Song of Norway.” Cinema I had 132 seats at launch with Cinema II with 238 seats for 370 total seats. Family films were featured in auditorium II.
According to the trade press of the era, the entire cost of the ozoner was a microscopic $6,500.
The Circus Drive-In opened June 30, 1951 with “When the Redskins Rode” picking that date simply to annoy the opening of the Caprock Drive-In that opening the same night. “Construction” had only started on June 1, 1951 and was “completed” at month’s end.
Advertisements continue through the end of its first (only) season with “Brave Bulls” on November 7, 1951. The theater has no more ads and no more mentions following that. The reason it’s not seeable on the 1957 aerial is that it was, like a circus, long gone after it’s season (first) ended.
Dan Pritchett launched the Caprock Drive-In Theatre on June 30, 1951 with “Winchester ‘73.”
The Border Theatre opened on June 7, 1947 by Scotty Levins.
Appears to have launched March 7, 1952 with “Fort Osage” and “Ghost Chasers” supported by cartoons.
The building at 111 St. Anna Street in downtown Stanton was a replacement for Texas Theatre “#1”. The post-War version is Texas Theatre “#2”
The Wagon Wheel started spinning May 1, 1951. But not at this address. This is the address for the Holiday Drive-In that opened in 1963 by the operators of the hardtop Lyric Theater in downtown.
The original Lyric Theatre held its grand opening on September 26, 1928 with “We Americans” on the big screen. Lyric #1 was located at 221 Main Street and converted to a retail store after its closure.
Grace and Wright Hale built the streamline moderne Lyric Theatre opening November 22, 1948 with the Palace Theatre continuing operation in the two-theater town until 1953. The Lyric converted to widescreen to show CinemaScope films In 1963, Wright and S.B. Hale, Jr., built the Holiday Drive-In returning Spearman to a two theater town.
The Marfa Opera House was where local residents saw their first films. The venue was first transformed into a movie house at the end of the silent era getting its Palace moniker / sound era name. The theater suffered a projection room explosion which destroyed both it and City Hall following its January 7, 1937 showtimes. Its current streamline moderne look occurred in a rebuilding of the showplace in 1937 by operator Oscar Korn launching as the Palace Theatre June 19, 1937.
The $35,000 Palace pened September 2, 1929 with “Broadway Melody”
Fiesta ads begin appearing early in 1951 - possibly its first season - as operated by Hodge’s H & H Theatres. The last ad for the Fiesta on October 30, 1967 “Africa: Texas Style!” likely at the end of its season. It appears to not reopen the following spring. The venue was rocked by a 1969 hail storm and high winds likely dooming the damaged property which purportedly was not operating at the time of the storm. It was later demolished.
The State Theatre was opened in 1937 by Homer Hodge at 106 South Main Street. Griffith Amusements operated it for a stretch with Hodge returning later. It was equipped with widescreen projection in 1954 to present CinemaScope films. The State closed on June 9, 1979. Homer Hodge offered the building as a donation to the City of Winters in 1981 (which it declined). The building was retrofitted as a professional building in 1983 and is used - as of the 2020s - as a retail building.
211 West Dale Street - Demolished in the late 1990s. Last film December 31, 1951 - “Cyclone of Fury.” Looks like Homer T. Hodge opened the Queen here in 1922. Installed sound on Mar 21, 1929 with “The Trail of ‘98” to remain viable.
Last advertised show was November 30, 1975 with “Race with the Devil.”
A tip of the hat to the half dozen film hard top theater in Seymour’s history. Here’s the Texas Theatre on North Washington Street from 1933, 1940 and 1952
To the left of Buck’s is the Ritz Theatre in downtown Seymour
The Nu-Vue opened Jan. 21, 1949 with an open house and plaing Lassie in “Hills of Home.”
The Rita opens in 1936
There were two Cozy Theater locations - both spelled with the letter “Z”. The first was the Queen Theatre in the silent era becoming the first of two Cozy locations. Homer Mulkey of th Pastime moved the Cozy to the Bosher Building with a streamlined theater seating 350 and bathed in green glass. The Pastime also got a new sound system allowing the “New” Cozy to have an upgraded hand-me-down sound on film system.
The New Cozy launched on October 18, 1935 with Tom Mix in “The Miracle Rider.” The former Queen turned Cozy was remodeled for retail purposes. The theatre burned down on February 28, 1945 prompted a new theater which became the Mulkey Theatre.
The New Plaza Theatre was a re-imagining of an existing 1884 landmark H. Schwartz Dry Goods Store building by C.D. Leon Theaters. The Spanish Colonial building opened on November 6, 1946 and its first film was “Aloma of South Seas.” A blue and buff lobby entered into an auditorium bathed in brown and red. They advertised “The Concert for Bangladesh” on June 16, 1973 and no more after that. Likely they continued but there is no advertising to go by.
Closed in 2024
September 21, 1950 grand opening ad with “Saddle Tramp” in photos. Architect was Harvey C. Allen of Lamesa. Ads are discontinued following Disney’s Tarzan on August 1, 1999
This theater became the Rio in 1938 and remained under that name until the opening of the new build Carlile Theater in Sep. 1950. The former Rio was remodeled in 1952 as the Westernn Hardware Store.
October 15, 1954 grand opening ad with “Four Guns to Border” in photos
The Cinema Theatre opened next to Munden’s Discount Center on September 13, 1971 with “Little Big Man” and “Song of Norway.” Cinema I had 132 seats at launch with Cinema II with 238 seats for 370 total seats. Family films were featured in auditorium II.