3146 Kensington Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Stanley-Warner Theatres
Architects: M.J. Walsh
Styles: Streamline Moderne
The Iris Theatre opened on December 12, 1910 on Kensington Avenue near E. Allegheny Avenue in the Harrowgate district to the northeast of Philadelphia. Beginning with vaudeville, movies were soon included in the program. It was renovated in 1916, reopening on December 25, 1916. It was operated by Stanley Theatres. It was further renovated in the 1930’s. Seating was provided in orchestra level and a small balcony.
It was located under the Frankford-Market el lines and when the train went by it was annoying. Because the theatre was mainly hidden by the el lines, the façade was mainly plan, with hardly any decoration. The Iris Theatre closed on May 8, 1965 with Ann-Margaret in “Bus Riley’s Back in Town” & Sean Connery in “Operation Snafu”(aka On the Fiddle). It was for many years a shop for woman’s clothing and is now a Rainbow dollar store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.