16-18 O'Connell Street Upper,
4 people favorited this theater
IMC Cinemas (Official)
Operated by: IMC Cinemas
Functions: Movies (First Run)
The Savoy Cinema opened on 29th November 1929 with Arthur Lake in “On With the Show”, and was the greatest Atmospheric style cinema in Ireland. The 2,900 seat interior was fitted out in a Venetian theme with the Doge’s Palace painted on the fire curtain (a stage and dressing rooms were part of the project), the proscenium arch was in the style of a bridge over a canal, and the side walls were decorated with faux Venetian windows, doors and balconies. It was designed by architect F.C. Mitchell and was built for Associated Irish Cinemas, a subsidiary of Associated British Cinemas(ABC). The Savoy Cinema was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/14Rank theatre organ. It suffered damage from a fire in 1938.
It was taken over by the independent Elliman Group in 1939, and in 1946 it was taken over by Odeon (Ireland) Ltd. The auditorium was renovated in 1960 by the Rank Organisation, which destroyed the Atmospheric decorations, replacing it with a modern contemporary style. It was twinned in 1969 and tripled in 1975. In 1979, it became a five-screen cinema, then six screens in 1988. In 2014 it was increased to seven screens. In 2016 screen 2 was converted into three screens and in 2018 screen 1 was converted into five screens. It is operated by IMC Cinemas.
The Classically styled exterior still dominates O'Connell Street (virtually opposite the former Carlton Cinema - closed), and remains a popular cinema in Dublin despite the existence of a couple of multiplexes.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.