Plaza Cinerama Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Dorset Picture House, Plaza Cinema
Originally built in 1789 as a chapel, it later became a church before its conversion into the 800-seat Dorset Picture House in 1911, to the plans or architectural firm Batchelor & Hicks. It was operated by a Mr. W. Shanly. In around 1928 it was re-named Plaza Cinema and in later years had a reputation as being ‘a bit of a rough house’.
In 1967 it was converted into a Cinerama theatre opening on 28th September 1967 with “Grand Prix”. Designed by the architectural firm Stephenson, Gibney and Associates of Dublin, the auditorium had been transformed into a modern curtained space with a floor to ceiling screen. The façade boasted a new look with a 15ft high Cinerama logo sign. Closed on 28th July 1981, the former Plaza Cinema was converted into the National Wax Museum. Situated on a prominent corner site on Granby Row and Dorset Street Upper, the building was clad externally and was barely recognisable as a cinema.
It was closed and demolished in 2005 and hotel built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.