180 S. New York Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Frank Theatres
Architects: William Harold Lee
Previous Names: Academy of Music, Nixon's Apollo Theatre
This theatre began as a legitimate theatre. Helen Hayes performed in “Clarence” and “The Golden Age” in Nixon’s Apollo Theatre in 1919. The theatre was also used as a dance hall in the 1920’s. The front door was located on S. New York Avenue but the side was along the world-famous Boardwalk.
It eventually was converted to a movie theatre and is listed in the 1951 Film Daily Yearbook as the Apollo Theatre. It was operated by Apollo Theatres and it closed in August 1968. From 1970 it was operated by Frank Theatres who closed it in August 1972 with a roadshow run of “Last Tango in Paris” starring Marlon Brando. In 1973 it opened as the Apollo Burlesque which closed as an adult movie theatre in October 1977 with “Sexual Ecstasy of the Macumba”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.