903-905 N. 6th Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Stanley-Warner Theatres
Architects: Carl P. Berger
Previous Names: Cinema Art Theatre
The Poplar Theatre opened in December 1916 with seating listed at 858. The architect listed for the theatre was Carl P. Berger. It was equipped with a Bartola pipe organ. In 1921 a Wurlitzer 2 manual 5 ranks organ was installed. It was closed in 1935. It operated from September 15, 1938 as the Cinema Art Theatre. This was short lived venture as it had been renamed Poplar Theatre again by the end of 1938 and was taken over by Stanley-Warner Theatres. It was closed in early-1957. Taken over by an independent operator in mid-1947 it screened foreign movies, which was only for a brief period of time. Another independent operator took over and screen Jewish movies from October 15, 1948, but it had closed by the end of 1948. It went over to being used for religious services into the early-1950.s It was converted to a warehouse for a large printing firm. It was demolished in late-2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.