527 W. Girard Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Firms: Hazelhurst & Huckel
Located in the Ludlow neighborhood to the north of Center City. The building was built in 1886 as the North 6th Street Farmers Market House and Hall to the design of architectural firm Hazelhurst & Huckel. It served the Farmers Market until 1908. The Mammoth Theatre opened with 700-seats, as a nickelodeon in 1909, with a two story brick façade. (Not to be confused with the Mammoth Theatre at 151 Cumberland Street in the West Kensington neighborhood which was operating by 1914). Inside the theatre was painted and plastered and had a stage house. The 2nd floor was a catering hall. Later it showed feature pictures and the seating capacity was increased to 800-seats. It continued as a last-run policy until it was closed in 1936.
In 1937 the stage house became a pool hall. The front portions were made into stores. The auditorium was recently in use as an indoor baseball batting area named Everybody Hits, which closed in 2020. The building has been placed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.