340 S. Spring Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Architects: Abraham M. Edelman
Previous Names: Waldeck's Casino Theatre, Casino Theatre, Hotchkiss Theatre, Los Angeles Theatre, Empress Theatre, Loewe's Empress Theatre, Quinn's Empress Theatre, Novel Theatre, Waxman's Capitol Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jun 18, 2009 — Any info on movie from the '30's "Fighting For Freedom"
Another theatre with different entrances and addresses over the years. This theatre was apparently first called the Casino Theatre when it opened in 1903. By 1914 it was the Los Angeles Theatre. By 1929 it was the Capitol Theatre with 450 seats. Over the years it went through many name changes and remodels until it fades away in the 1930’s.
It also went through many uses including: vaudeville, movies, Spanish-language movies, live theatre, and a church!
By 1952 the address is listed as a parking lot. There are many articles about the theatre having a ‘hoodoo’ curse with managers and owners meeting all types of disasters and maladies.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.