10 W. Mifflin Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Architects: John Edmund Oldaker Pridmore
Previous Names: Fuller Opera House
The Fuller Opera House was opened April 7, 1890. It had 1,200-seats on the orchestra level and there was a second level balcony, a third level gallery and ten private boxes.
Following a remodel, it became the Parkway Theater on December 5, 1921. It was equipped with a Barton theatre organ. That organ was damaged in 1926 by an on-stage fire. It was replaced by a new Barton 3 manual 11 ranks organ. With the introduction of talkies (The Parkway Theater was the first theater in Des Moines to screen a sound film in February 1928 with Al Jolson in “The Jazz Singer”), the organ was soon put into storage. It was removed from the Parkway Theater in 1935 and installed in the Great Hall of Memorial Union Iowa State University where it was dedicated on October 6, 1936.
The Parkway Theater was demolished in October 1954.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.