1925 Elm Street,
17 people favorited this theater
The Majestic Theatre (Official)
Previously operated by: Interstate Theatres Inc. & Texas Consolidated Theaters Inc., Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: John Adolph Emil Eberson
News About This Theater
- Nov 8, 2005 — Downtown Dallas Movie Palaces
Designed by John Eberson and opened in 1921, The Majestic Theatre began as a home for both movies and vaudeville shows and had an original seating capacity of 2,800. It was equipped with a 2 manual Kilgen organ. In 1932, the Majestic Theatre began showing movies exclusively. By 1941 it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Hoblitzelle & O'Donnell. Film was the main attraction for the Majestic Theatre until dwindling downtown audiences and poor ticket sales drove the theatre out of business in 1973. In 1974, the vacant theatre was used extensively as a location for the Brian DePalma movie “Phantom of the Paradise” starring Paul Williams.
The Majestic Theatre was reopened by the city of Dallas along with donations from private and corporate supporters in 1983 after undergoing a transformation to accommodate more seating for performing arts and concerts.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.