1913 Elm Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Hope Theatre, Loew's Melba Theatre, Melba Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 31, 2013 — "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements
- Oct 24, 2010 — "The Alamo"...Happy 50th!
- Oct 6, 2010 — Happy 50th, "Spartacus"
- Oct 31, 2008 — Remembering Cinerama (Part IX)
- Nov 8, 2005 — Downtown Dallas Movie Palaces
The Hope Theatre, on Elm Street in Dallas, opened on April 26, 1922 with Buster Keaton in “The Cops”. It was designed by W. Scott Dunne and Alfred Charles Finn. It was operated by First National Theatres and later in 1922 it was renamed Loew’s Melba Theatre when Loew’s Inc. took over. It was taken over by the Interstate Theatre circuit around 1939. and by 1941 it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Hoblitzelle & O'Donnell. It originally had a 3/11 Wurlitzer organ which was opened by organist George Perfect.
The Melba Theatre showed the first 3-D movie, “Bwana Devil”, in 1953, and a year later, began showing Cinerama films, beginning with “This Is Cinerama”. From 1960 until closing in the 1970’s it was named Capri Theatre and has since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.